I really enjoy knitting socks, but I’ve made my close friends and family at least one pair — some of them even two or three.
It was time to knit something else.
I haven’t had much luck with sweaters. One I completely unraveled after it was done and used the yarn to knit a couple Moebius cowls and a beret. Another just didn’t fit and at some point will be gifted to someone smaller and slimmer than myself.
I also wanted to work on something that held more immediate gratification than something that would take me three years to knit.
Since my grandson was born in October, I’ve kind of had baby on the brain. He has a gazillion blankets, but I thought it would be fun to knit one for some baby yet-to-be-determined.
I checked out a book of baby knits from the library which included a pattern for a Log Cabin Afghan. Unfortunately, I neglected to record the title of the book.
I screwed up my first attempt. When one band of color is bound off, you’re supposed to rotate the project 90 degrees and pick up stitches along the next edge. I mistakenly picked up stitches along the just-bound-off edge. After making this same error a couple of times, I ripped back all my knitting and started over.
The original pattern tells you to make six squares with two rounds around a center square and then sew them together. Instead, I just kept knitting.
Except for the picking up and binding off, it’s all garter stitch, and you can’t get much easier than that.
Posted in knitting
Tagged babies, stash
For the latest quilt top for Project Linus, I chose “Blueberry Baskets” from Basket Bonanza by Nancy Mahoney.
The cutting instructions called for each block to use the same blues and yellow fabrics. But I chose different yellows and blues for each block.
For the border, I happened to have a fair amount of a blue-and-yellow floral print in my stash. Someone was giving it away several years ago. She had already used it to make something — I don’t know what exactly, except it was round. But the pieces were a good size, and I was able to cut my borders without having to sew together smaller cuts.
The background color has a green tint to it. I would have preferred something more white, but I think it works well enough.
Yesterday, I finished sewing together my latest quilt for Project Linus.
This one is less scrappy than the previous ones, and I departed from the practice of just using fabric from my stash.
I had selected three fabrics to use — background, medium and dark. But when I sat down to cut out the pieces, I decided I did not like the medium I had chosen. It was too pink to coordinate well with the other two fabrics.
I looked through my stash of purples again. There was one medium purple that was more blue and worked better, but I had only a very small remnant, not nearly enough.
So, I bought some fabric just for this quilt top.
It is a Tula Pink print, and it was the only fabric I found that was — again — not a pink-y lavender, but a blue-toned one.
The quilt is “Porcelain Stars” from Sew One and You’re Done by Evelyn Sloppy.
I did not follow her instructions for how to make flying geese bucks, half-square triangle units, and quarter-square triangle units. Instead, I used the No-Waste method for the flying geese, and this method for the HSTs and QSTs.
For this Linus quilt, I went through my bin of batiks. I was lucky to find that there was a large piece — more than a yard — of a multicolored batik suitable for the background. Because there were so many colors in it, it coordinated well with a wide variety of fabric hues.
This quilt is a small version of “Flaying Home from Bali Bali” from Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth and Charlene Thode.
This fabrics in the Eight-Patch columns are the same, the only difference being the directiuon of the color gradation.
Each of the Flying Geese blocks is different, and none use any of the Eight-Patch fabrics.
Because I wanted each Flying Geese block to be different, I used the Stitch-and Flip method rather than the No-Waste method.
Consequently, I had a lot of leftover triangles from the trimming. I sewed them into half-square triangle units and had enough to make five patchwork kitties, three of which are shown here.
They will get donated to Project Linus along with the quilt top.
It only took just under 3 years and 9 months.
I first posted about this project on April 30, 2015, with updates on November 6, 2016, September 14, 2017, and April 13, 2018.
This past week, because of being pretty much snowed in for a couple of days, I finally sat down to sew the seams and weave in the ends.
Now, if I were only as thin as the model in the photo.
One size fits all? Not so much.
Maybe my daughter will like it.
Posted in knitting
My latest submission to Project Linus:
This is a crib-size version of “Plan B” from Save the Scraps by Gayle Bong.
In reducing the number of blocks, I had to recalculate the number of 2″ scrappy squares I would need.
I failed. Not sure where my calculations went awry, and sometimes it’s just not worth trying to backtrack to figure it out.
First I thought I had too many, so I used the extras in one of my kitties.
Then, after I’d finished making the gray-star blocks, I didn’t have any for the scrappy-star blocks.
I do know how to do simple addition and multiplication — really! — but just couldn’t do it last month.
Earlier this week, I finished the second quilt top destined for Project Linus.
Based on “Summer Breezes” from Scrap-Basket Surprises by Kim Brackett, I made a few changes.
Some of the fabric remnants I wanted to use were narrower than 2-1/2″. So I adjusted the strip width to 2-1/4″. I also added just two borders, rather than the three in the original quilt.
And I also made it smaller — 5 rows instead of 7. I had just enough of the lighter green fabrics to use each one twice in the Rail Fence blocks.