Last night, I realized that I was almost finished quilting this project.
So this afternoon I went out to my studio to see what I could start on next. Usually, at this point, I would have the next project pin-basted and ready to go. But not this time.
I did find a couple of quilt tops, and enough batting for them, but I needed to get some backing fabric.
After a quick trip to the fabric store, I set about piecing one back. Except, I didn’t get very far.
My Pfaff is in getting a tune-up (its first since I bought it more than 10 years ago). So I thought, I’ll just get out my old Kenmore sewing machine and use that. Well, not so much.
I don’t think I’ve used the Kenmore since I bought the Pfaff. Some years ago, I loaned it to the niece of a friend. I don’t know how much she actually used it, but when it came back to me, there were no reports of problems.
Somewhere in the intervening years, the presser foot has stopped pressing. Rather, it just sort of sits on top of the fabric, but doesn’t do much to hold the fabric in place as it feeds. The release bar seems kind of loose, so maybe something just needs tightening. But it didn’t seem like it was anything I could easily get to.
After three or four attempts to sew two pieces together for the backing, I gave up.
I’ll plan better next time.