Week in Review

When I took inventory yesterday of all the projects I worked on this week, I was a little surprised at how many there were. Where to begin?

I suppose with knitting.

After several days of not working on my sock, I picked it up again last night to start the toe decrease.

sock copy

I also started “deconstructing” this sweater and am already halfway through making a Moebius cowl. I don’t know what I’ll do when this cowl is finished. Maybe just make more. So far, I’ve used up the yarn in the shawl collar and am now using yarn from one of the sleeves.


I finished the buttonhole stitching on one hand pillow and got a second one ready to go, fusing the hands to a second one.

pillow top

hand pillow 2

The star in the yellow one was a last-minute addition, after I noticed that edge of one of the pieces had not gotten completely caught in the seam, and there was a bit of raw edge showing. So I made the impromptu “patch.”

I also completed a pillow cover, adding the piping and the back.

pillow cover

I made another kitty, this one very scrappy.

kitty 2      kitty 1

Here’s what it looked like before turning.

kitty before

I worked on my quilt.

quilting copy

And I made a couple of kitty blocks. I’m thinking that I will make more of them, the goal being to use up a stack of red/white/black fabrics left over from a ten-year quilt I made for a former co-worker.

kitty blox

These are based on a block from The Cat’s Meow by Janet Kime. I redrafted it to make the tail “curve” more smoothly and to also make the head less pointy on the sides. Styles

It finishes to 8-1/4″ x 12″. The first time I made it (left block) I had mislabeled the size of the head and cut it 3″ x 5-1/2″, instead of 3-1/2″ x 5-1/2″. To fix this, I added a narrow strip of background fabric at the top.

With the block on the right, I used up all I had of the piece of background fabric. I didn’t measure it, so I don’t know the exact dimensions, but I estimate that it was about 3″ to 3-1/2″ by 16″ to 18″. If there hadn’t been quite enough, I could have substituted a different red-and-white print, but I wanted to avoid doing so if possible.

As it was, I didn’t have quite enough fabric to cut the 2″ squares for the body (the block uses the stitch-and-trim technique for corner triangles as shown here). Instead, I cut 2″ triangles with blunted corners; one of them I had to cut on the bias.


Even so, I had to piece from trimmed corners the small triangle at the lower left.


But it felt good to use up a whole piece of leftover fabric — not even enough remained to be worth throwing into the scrap bag!


This entry was posted in knitting, quilting, week in review and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Week in Review

  1. Pingback: The Kitty Quilt | Laurel's Studio

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s