Disappearing 16 Patch

The latest quilt project I’ve been working on, in an effort to use fabric from my stash, is making a whole bunch of Disappearing 16 Patch blocks.

I used a pack of 6-1/2″ strips of Kaffe Fassett fabrics and a bunch of mini charm square packs.

The result was a whole bunch of wildly colorful blocks. These are just a handful. I think there are more than 100.

16 patch

When I started, I wasn’t sure what size quilt I would want to make. But now, I’m thinking several baby quilts. Depending on how many blocks I put in each quilt, it’ll be four or five.

I pulled out some flannel left over from some pajama pants I made a long time ago that I will use for the backing. And I bought some plain dark blue fabric for the binding.

I might even machine quilt these, which is something I hardly ever do.

Posted in quilting | Tagged | Leave a comment

Super Nova

Super Nova

I finally uploaded a new pattern to my Craftsy store.

Looking back through previous blog posts, I found out that I started on this last summer.

About six months later, I was in the midst of quilting it.

If I’d gotten it machine quilted, it would have been done a lot sooner, obviously. But I do so enjoy hand quilting, and this one had such nice, big, open areas to do some really pretty motifs.



Posted in quilting | Tagged | Leave a comment

Trimmed and Pressed

This afternoon, I spent some time hand stitching together some pieces for the next block in what may end up being a sampler quilt.

It’s more English paper piecing, but not such small pieces as the last block I worked on.

star block 2

This is one of 9 units that will make up the final block.

Posted in quilting | Leave a comment

Tiny Stars

Several days ago, I finished piecing together the Tiny Star Pieces.

4 stars

A few days later, I sewed them into their block.

Star block

The next block I’m hand piecing has pieces nearly as small, and more of them.



Posted in quilting | Tagged | 1 Comment

My New Tote Bag

Some time ago, I set aside the fabric to make a tote bag.

Today, I finally made it.

Some of the fabric was left over from a shirt I made for my husband. We had been on a day trip to Bainbridge Island, and had visited the local quilt shop, Esther’s, some three years ago.

fuji fabric

This is the shirt.


We had already browsed through the shop. but spotted this fabric in the front display window as we were leaving. Of course, I had to go back in and purchase some!

Since I didn’t know exactly how much I would need for a shirt, I was generous in my purchase, just to be safe.

Some other time, I think later on, I bought some ginkgo-leaf print fabric. Because I like ginkgo leaves. Which, coincidentally, coordinated wonderfully with the Mt. Fuji fabric.

A couple of years ago, I wrote up and illustrated the instructions for this 12-Pocket Tote pattern. I’ve made it up once before, as part of a Christmas gift exchange at work.

It’s a neat pattern. Gotta love all those pockets.

I started working on it this morning, and finished it this afternoon. Talk about (nearly) instant gratification. And this was even with being gone for a couple hours in the middle of the day to go have lunch with a friend.


Posted in sewing | Tagged | Leave a comment

Digging into My Stash of Embroidery Floss

It’s been years since I did any embroidery.

I first picked it up when I was about 11 or 12. My oldest sister was into it; I probably started to do it to emulate her, but then discovered that I liked it.

I’ve been aware of Zentangles for some time now. I checked out a couple of books from the library, and did some doodling, but never found — or made — the time to do it on a daily basis.

Likewise, the recent fad for adult coloring books.

But I like to have a variety of handwork projects to work on while watching television in the evenings. Right now, I have a pair of socks and a small quilt to work on. Usually, I also have a hand pillow going, but I just finished one.

So I thought this might be a good time to start on this Zenbroidery panel I bought a couple months ago.

zen cu

This might take awhile.


Posted in Uncategorized | 4 Comments

Back to the Studio

Now that the weather has begun to warm up, I’ve moved my sewing machine back out to my studio.

I’m not sure when I moved my sewing machine into the house, but I think it may have been in November. It seems like we had several days of pretty cold temperatures that month. (In January, it got cold enough for Green Lake to freeze.)

The timing worked out, because I had sewn up 20 “Disappearing Nine-Patch” blocks, and I needed my design wall to arrange them.

9 patch

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment